Steps to create URL field to save Google Doc URL to base object record (using Opportunity object for this example):
1. Go to Setup
2. Customize “Opportunity” object
3. Create New Custom field
4. Field type is URL (Label field Opportunity Doc URL or something unique)
5. Click through steps to save new field and then copy API name, should look like Opportunity_Doc_URL__c
6. Go back to document action and paste this API name (without quotation or merge field brackets around it) into field labeled “Save URL to Salesforce Field.”
7. Now go back to example Opportunity record to click custom button to merge document
8. After document is generated, the URL field will be populated on record.
9. Click URL link to edit document from opportunity record which will display in new window
10. Once edits are completed, you can then download as PDF and attach to record or follow steps to create a custom button or link with a formula that would include the google doc id and then parameters at the end to export and download as a PDF.
11. If you want to email a link to your google doc for PDF download, you can review this article.
NOTE ON FEATURE LIMITATIONS:
- This feature cannot be used with document action feature to “auto delete google doc after merge” as you need to keep the URL in order to access it.
- This feature can only work if 1) User generates document manually or 2) User generates document using Process Builder or Batch Mode.
- Using Apex method to generate document will not update field defined in rsdoc__Save_in_Field__c. This will need to be done manually in the Apex code.